Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandpa

 
Happy 88th Birthday Grandpa!
I hear you are heading home soon. My heart is such a mix of happiness and grief. They tell me that it won't be long until you pass through the veil that separates us from perfection, peace, wholeness and eternal life. You are almost home.

I have a few things I want to share with you today. Though I know you may not be able to hear or understand, I love you Grandpa.

I have always had a special place in my heart for you, as you were the only Grandpa that lived in driving distance, the one I saw the most. I remember you telling me how your mother, Svea, had died when you were only a toddler. You said that you asked my parents to name me after her. Whatever the details, I am so proud to be Svea, named for your mother, a connection to our Swedish ancestral homeland, and a connection to you.

I remember when you were lying in bed for many years, your body weak , but mind sharp. I loved climbing up on top of your cushioned mattress, and snuggling next to you as you doled out chewable, cherry flavored Vitamin Cs., and talked about Creation and the war, and meeting our Grandma, and loving the Loons of Minnesota. I am sure we grandkids thoroughly jostled your lanky frame, but you always welcomed us.

I loved listening to you sing, reminiscing about your days as a church choral soloist. Your love for singing and music is threaded through our entire family. You always encouraged us grandchildren with our piano and singing, complimenting us on our long piano fingers.

I remember the Christmas that you came out of your bed to sit with us for the first time since I was born. What a celebration! Then to see your body heal over the last 20 years and watch with amazement how you cared for your garden and trees with new found vigor.

I smile thinking of your funny responses to affectionate words or expressions of love. I think our childlike exuberance often challenged your more emotionally reserved nature, but I could see as the years went by how you adjusted to the free sharing of "I love you".
You would respond with, "Oh you do now.... Well I suppose I feel the same way about you" The twinkle in your eye showing much love and affection.

I remember you telling my husband, David, that he must be sure to kiss me lots every day. "That is the way to keep your wife happy". I loved watching you love our Grandma, a woman of such grace and strength.

One of my fondest recent memories with you was when I was pregnant with my first daughter, Eiley. I came to visit and with a very large pregnant belly. I remember teasing you about touching the baby in my belly. Well, in a totally uncharacteristic move you reached over and touched my pregnant belly and then giggled the most contagious laugh and said " I can't believe I am doing this."
I did capture a photo to prove it, and your smile says it all.


I am missing you today, on your birthday. My heart is adjusting to a bitersweet reality that soon you will be singing with another choir. I am so pleased that with Him, your mind will be whole, not ravaged by an unforgiving illness. I know that soon you will be discussing Creation and Science and the logisitcs of Noah's Ark, with the One who holds all in His hands.

Thank you Grandpa for loving Jesus and showing me how to walk a path of faith and patience in this world. Thank you for praying for our family daily, always covering your flock of 30 something.

They tell me that soon you will be going Home, I will miss you..... but I will see you soon.

I love you Grandpa

Love,

Svea
Posted by Picasa

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea,
What a wonderful tribute! Very special. Thanks for sharing. How thankful I am to be a part of this family.

Your aunt Sheryl

8:12 PM  
Blogger Roo said...

oh svea -- you are so blessed to have this man in your life. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA! what a precious, beautiful man.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brings me to tears. I understand your heart.
Love, Joc

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful letter, Svea. Thank you for sharing it. Love you, Amy

9:47 PM  
Blogger esther said...

grampa's are sooo precious...
i'm so sorry svea.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

That's a beautiful letter, thanks for sharing, grandparents are so very special.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea, thank you for writing and sharing this. I have been so blessed to know Grandpa Everett in the few years I've been in the family. Your words captured it all. Thank you, and praise God.

~Joy

8:09 AM  
Blogger rockstarkp said...

beautiful...

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea, what a sweet tribute....you brought me to tears. It makes me miss my sweet grandpa! What a blessing that you were so close.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Svea- that brought tears..what an amazing tribute!! You are incredibly blessed to have such amazing memories of a grandpa who you loved and showed love to you!!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

That was beautiful. Such a wonderful legacy to have and hold dear to your heart forever.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now, I didn't expect to cry today, and there you go with your beautiful heart and words. Thank you for sharing your heart and your grandpa. I remember meeting him. I think I even slept at his house... double wide. kisses, Sarah F

5:16 PM  
Blogger joe said...

Cousin Svea. Thank you for putting into words what we blessed grandchildren have experienced. I was priviliged with my mother to be there 5 minutes after he went Home. Then Grandma, Jen, Ric and Suzie, and my dad came in, and together we gave thanks for his loving life. We even were blessed to sing the doxology with him one last time. The look of peace on his face said it all: "I no longer see through veiled mirrors. I see my Lord face to face."

The Lord has indeed given us an incredible legacy in the life of Grandpa. May we all live life with the love for Jesus that he had.

Love from California.
Joe and Jen

10:20 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

xxxx
oooo

your grandpa fanned a flame that you are sure to carry on towards many others.

You with your pregnant belly bring joy to others who are hurting when it is we who should be bringing you scones and hot tea....

Thank you Svea. The love that you have shown must be the love of a good God.

12:49 AM  
Blogger svea said...

Thank you all so very much for your sweet encouragement. My grandpa died on his birthday just a few hours after i wrote this tribute. he is with Jesus now and my heart is happy and sad, but mostly happy.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got teary reading that... what a blessing to have such a man in your life. And I am sure that he is much blessed as well. I love all you said, and your picture of what awaits him in Heaven. Bless you both.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just after I left my comment, I read your last one... my heart aches, even as I know that he is probably doing leaps of joy in the presence of his Creator.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home