Friday, September 15, 2006

Contentment

Being a mama is opening my eyes to the complexity of contentment.

I am learning to be in the space where I am and breathe a deep breath of thankfulness, to glance at where I have been and not beg to go back, and look to where I am going ( though rarely can I see that far) and not hop on a jet plane to get there. I am definitely in process.

In my twenties I traveled all over the world, from the deserts of Egypt to the jungles of Thailand, the fjords of northern Norway to the slums of India. I am amazed, when I look back, how pungent life seemed at the time. With each new experience my senses were satiated with the intensity of living every day on 'the edge'. I often wonder if it was another person living in my skin that saw those sights and lived that life, so far removed I feel from that terribly exciting Svea.

Now as a 30-something wife and mama, I am looking ahead to owning and living in my first home. My husband and I purchased a 30-year-old house that needed complete renovation, and for the last nine months we have been working tirelessly to renovate it. ( I say the proverbial "we" though it is David who has done 99.9% of the work) We still have not spent a night there, and the last 4 months we have been living in my in-law's basement. It still seems unreal that I will actually be living in my own house, and probably soon. I can't quite picture what that will be like. But while moving six times in the last five years I have learned that it doesn't help to live in the " when I finally get there" world, because contentment slips through your fingers as soon as you open your mouth to say the words.

Closer to home, I find the contentment quest is most acute for me in very personal areas, like my relationship with God. I can look back at a younger Svea, who had lots of time to meditate and pray and read truth and digest the subtleties. I can see her praying for a man in Albania and watching that man receive healing. I can hear her teach in classrooms around the world on "How to Hear God's Voice". Today I see her changing diapers and feeding off People magazine at the doctor's office.....That other person, was that me?, I ask.....and God, was that you ?

Somedays I feel like a tuning fork that has forgotten how to reverberate at my Jesus' voice. But, to the contrary, I know...deep down (in the eternal space inside me) that no tuning fork ever loses it's ability to carry a tune. That is what it was created for. And I was created to connect with Him to hear His voice no matter how mundane the moment.

Again, the call to contentment, to being in a different space but breathing the same life. I am smiling, because last night as I went to open my Bible, ( for the first time in many days) I fell asleep meditating on the most beautiful verse. When I woke up, I took a deep breath and experienced something precious, and not so elusive.........contentment. Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post svea. i love your heart. i'm following in your footsteps toward contentment.

4:24 PM  
Blogger esther said...

it's amazing what mommydom can do to change you, it's a beautiful thing, but i agree, contentment is something we have to work at...and how can we possibly have time for that?!?!:)

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful, peaceful thoughts.....

10:31 PM  
Blogger Roo said...

lovely
love u

isn't it strange to look back? as we strain to look forward.....

shalom.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea,
I too can admit to feeling that way sometimes & wondering how far I've come from those amazing adventures! (one we met on in Norway). I really appreciate your words & sharing! Bless you! ~Wendy.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love your analogy of the tuning fork never losing its ability to carry a tune...how even though we may be at a different season of like, we are still made to reverberate to the truth and love of God...although now we may experience that in different ways. I feel nourished by your words, your gift of creativity and your thoughtfulness.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

coming from Mishas'..

Chang Mai was my preferred location in Thailand...the colours, the smells, the people, the crazy Tuk Tuk.

Love your past/present/future analogy... my edge is being this father I want to be.

a plus tard

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea, you are a beautiful writer. I love reading your thoughts, and wonder at their amazing eloquence. Does my brain think that way, and I just haven't discovered it? Your blogs make me chuckle and cry. You are a blessing! love Becky

12:52 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

sister, you are a truly talented writer. you have just expressed in so many words what my heart has been yearning for these last few months. contentment...what an amazing thing to possess. the busier i am and more i fill my life with, the less content i seem to be. everything else pushes God further away. thank you for that reminder.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home