Monday, September 04, 2006

Reason why I love this small town #312

I ventured out this afternoon to borrow a can of tomato sauce in order to make a batch of salsa for canning. When I returned home 30 minutes later, after a few stops at my neighbors homes, I had my arms overflowing with this! A bag of fresh, garden tomatoes, two monster-size zuccinni, 4 onions and a jar of homemade beet borscht. This just doesn't happen everywhere, and this is one reason why I love this little town. Everyone has a garden and they give their goods away to almost anyone who walks by their yard slow enough, which is a blessing for people like me who don't have gardens yet, and the prime reason that I have changed from power-walking to meandering through town......:) just kidding, but seriously, friendly neighborhood small town generosity is a treat, and so are the 16 pints of salsa I made using lots of gifted veggies.

PS- Don't worry , I don't plan on making a career of still-life vegetable and fruit photography :) Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Roo said...

yup. i agree. it's a definite perk.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the still-lifes are pretty!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I don't know what beet borscht is, but it doesn't sound good.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as long as you keep sending salsa down to me, you can stay up there... :) I just ate a handful of plain corn chips in honor of your delectable handiwork. (a shipment of that salsa sometime soon would be appreicated.)

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svea! Are you in the same Canadian small town I'm in? Our pile of veggies looks comparable. I'd love to catch up and chat a little, if you have time between all the feeding, sleeping, and playing. Perhaps if you are nearby, my boys would love to have another friend. Please send me a little note at jace51@hotmail.com.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Liz G said...

Yum. I love homemade salsa. I still need to make my zucchinni relish and plum jam. I love the pictures, by the way.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ah...sounds divine. Not the beet borscht (I don't know what that is either, Steve), but the generosity and the bounty of fresh goodies. I love how people who live in places where there are such long winters garden like crazy! I remember living in Madison and loving the way people gardened in a celebratory way, really relishing the growing things and enjoying the whole process in a way that gardeners in climates like the one I live in just don't get. I am sure, once your garden is up and growing, that yours will be just as bountiful and that you will be just as generous, as you hang out near your fence post, hoping to pawn off just one more zuccini to any hapless passerby :). Love you Svea!!!!!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home