Tuesday, October 24, 2006

On Friendship and Communism


My daughter's best friend is Mao.

From the time she wakes up in the morning to the time she goes to bed I hear his name many, many, many times.

"Mao....Mao....Mao.............."

But before you come an haul me away for letting my daughter play with the dead Chairman of the Communist Party in China, let me explain.

We love Chinese food.... Ok, just kidding, that is beside the point.






"Mao", as my daughter calls her, is Noelle. The two were born 7 weeks apart and have been inseperable since. They have had a built in playmate since the time they were popped out.

Their world reflects a bit of communist ideals... They share everything from sippy cups to clothes, toothbrushes and food. hugs and kisses. They are learning to share toys and trade "sorry"s.

Someday when they are older we will embarass them with their many pictures taken together, their little naked bums waddling in the backyard their first summer, messy faces and muddy clothes. I don't think they will have any choice but to be friends, and I do hope they will.

There will come a day when Eiley will say "Noelle" for the first time and I think I will be sad for a moment, but I will certainly never forget sweet the beginnings of a life-long friendship.
 Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Scribbit said...

A girl I knew in high school moved into our neighborhood and our daughters became best friends. It's been so strange, in high school we were just acquaintances (two years age difference is such a big deal in high school) and I never would have thought that 25 years later we'd be joined by our daughters and becoming friends through them.

10:53 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

that makes me sad in a happy way. Arianna and Emma were friends like that. We have photos of them in every imaginable form of play. They were bbf. Then we moved.

Its been three years now, and yesterday I noticed Arianna had written on her mirror: "Shayla, my bff". Of course, I'm glad she has settled in here so extremely well, and she does have a great taste in friends. Its just that I always imagined Arianna and EMma in pictures together, right up to their wedding days when they would stand up for each other.

Ok, that was entirely about me.
great post, pretty girls.

9:23 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

priceless, absolutely priceless.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Roo said...

awwww, nothing like communistic ideal to form a good friendship.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

That is a really great post Svea. I like the way it was composed...and it's really sweet too.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my Sara....life-long friendships are a beautiful thing. Makes me wish we lived closer...

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home