Saturday, September 05, 2009

What kind of mom would I want?

 
 
 
That one question has done more for changing my heart and responses to my girlies in the last few months than anything else, that, and a beautiful post highlighted by my friend about saying Yes.
IN the moment I am trying to ask myself 'If I were in my girls shoes, How would I want my mom to respond?' When Taliah shows up covered in top soil and green tomato seeds covering her brand new sweet summer dress, in my heart I ask the question, and then I laugh. I laugh and with gentle tones change clothes and remind her that we want red tomatos, and patience is needed.
The other mom would have had a very cross look and huffed her way through the clean up process mourning the loss of precious "clothes" and "tomatos" instead of celebrating the precious girl.

When Eiley asks to put on her swimsuit and play in the rain instead of having a quiet time, I remember that life is short, memories are powerful and I would want a Mama who would rejoice in my creativity and ideas. It definetely takes a heart adjustment.

I like things orderly and clean, and managing three children under the age of 4 often steals my graciousness, but I am learning, I am trying and I am loving the process of changing and growing. Today for our weekly Family Day we went to the lovely St. NOrbert Farmers Market for the whole morning. I asked myself, what kind of mom would I want? and so the little girlies had face paints and kettle corn and balloon toys and we drank slurpees ate homemade butter tarts and then stopped at a splash park on the way home and played in the water in our clothes, because, clothes dry, sugar eventually passes through their system, naps can be postponed and summer is short. It felt so good to enjoy, engage, celebrate our family and love on our little people. The biggest compliment came at the end of the day when Eiley bubbled over with thankfulness for" all the things we did today" and then drew me a picture asking me to marry her :)
Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

Blogger ~beautyandjoy~ said...

This made me cry. I KNOW how hard those choices are because I know who does the clean up!...I love you! And you treat all of your friends this way, too. You are a beautiful example to me. And you've always loved me messy, too. :) xo

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Sara said...

Wow you're a great mom. I learn so much from my big sis! :) Thanks for sharing your journey...and those darling pics. Eiley looks like she could burst from happiness. I can only imagine how much fun she was having. Hug them all for me. love you.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Elleah said...

I really like that. Thanks for sharing!

11:54 PM  
Blogger The Nilsen's Journey said...

Svea, thank you for that post! As we are preparing for our #2, and that wonderful "master list" of to do's stares at me, I have felt the Lord stilling my heart to ensure my major efforts & energies are spent on this little one we already have. I so appreciated your post & feel it will echo in my ears as the time progresses closer to our date!

Bless you!

4:45 PM  
Blogger jb said...

it's so true, i need to be more of "that" kind of mom to my dear ones. thank you for those words, i think all of us moms need to be reminded of this from time to time.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Svea, you are such an inspiration to me as a mom...I think I could have used a little more of that kind of graciousness today:)
Thanks for always encouraging me!
I'm so glad that I'll have another chance tomorrow:)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Roo said...

such a good post. and one that i will be remembering for a long long while. thanks for sharing it! xo

11:50 PM  
Blogger Elissa said...

I agree, great post! I find myself struggling between my two "inner moms" too, and am often inspired by my own mom-- even though she's retired and has no kids at home, she could easily find a bunch of things to do while her grandkids are over, but she always, always, always gets down on the floor and plays with them (and at least one of them is there every day!). I don't want to wait till I'm a grandmother to be that kind of mom! Thanks for reminding me!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write. This is a great reminder. And even more so after having a long with with tired children learning how to handle school for full days. Dear ones.
Love, Joc xoxo

9:12 PM  
Blogger ~Noreen said...

What a lovely post! You are a wonderful mother and I see you parent with such patience and grace each time we are together. These words will stay with me for a long time.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

WOW! Thanks for that inspiration! I read something not long ago about trying to see life through our children's eyes, and it does help with patience when I remember it! I will think about your question too. Our kids deserve the best!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Colleen said...

I agree with Ruth. . this will stay with me. . ."what kind of mother would I want". . .GREAT question. . and I love your answer!

10:33 PM  
Blogger bria erskine said...

What a great reminder for me today and every day. Thanks Svea.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home